By Sara Martino
"We may look at a different type of landlord rental application," said Mayor John Soubasis during last week's Brooklawn Borough Council meeting.
In order to make all landlords be in compliance with the borough's regulations, changes in the rental registration applications will be made.
"I was looking at the application from Westville that must be filed and approved before granting a certificate of occupancy. It is a very thorough application that gathers important information," he said.
Borough officials said there are more than 200 rental units in town, and the current generic application fee is $200 per building.
Mayor Soubasis also said the Collingswood Fire Department personnel perform check lists in rental properties in Collingswood.
"The fire members check for water leaks, look for extension cords that may be overloaded and check cords and plugs behind furniture in addition to other safety items," Soubasis said.
No action on the application updating was taken at the meeting.
The matter will be further discussed by committee members and zoning and construction officers.
Council approved ordinances on first reading that would increase the amount of license fees for cats and dogs housed in the residences. All dog licenses will cost $17 for dogs, except seeing eye dogs, hearing assistance dogs and service dogs.
If the dogs are not spade, there is an additional $3. fee. Cat license will cost $15. A final reading on the ordinances will be held at the November 17 meeting.
Auto Repair Operator, Mark Wileczek, who works out of the Citgo automobile station on Rt. 130 in Brooklawn, was told that he must comply with recommendations demanded by the Building Inspector and the Code Enforcement officer before he would receive a Certificate of Occupancy.
The operator said he was trying to comply, and mentioned that there are several other locations in town that seem to be in violation also.
Soubasis told the operator that his situation was being discussed at the Council meeting, and that he was given additional time to come into compliance.
Councilman Gerald "Skip" Granstrom mentioned that Carl Thomas, the Borough's Fire Marshall, was in the hospital.
Related articles by Zemanta